Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Trabajo

Blog-

Things are finally starting to make themselves clear as mud when it comes to employment. I consider myself lucky because I have had multiple opportunities amidst this turmoil in our country along with the horrible job market that is Rexburg/Idaho Falls. The only way to find a job is to get out of Rexburg...You can find one in Rexburg eventually but do you really want to work at DQ? Or cleaning bathrooms in the mornings in the McKay? Didn't think so. Don't get me wrong...Petsmart and now Olive Garden were not my first choices when it comes to employment, but they have both turned into amazing opportunities.

For a good two month period I was pretty confident that I would need to leave Idaho and move somewhere that I could live. I can afford to live here in Idaho, but going to school at the same time makes it very hard making close to minimum wage. Alas things have worked out for the good. Finally a restaurant came through with one of my applications let alone Olive Garden, my 2nd choice. (1st choice is Texas Roadhouse just because it costs a bit more and I'm from Texas). That happened at the same time that Petsmart promoted me to Dog Trainer. So here I go from making barely above minimum to making where I was with Melaleuca almost, along with OG which has the income potential to top $20 an hour easily.

So some of you may ask how I can get so luckily especially up here in Rexburg. In the real world, these jobs are nothing but in Eastern Idaho they're not bad. I promoted at Petsmart in 5 weeks to a position that pays commission along with a decent raise. I got a job at Olive Garden among 500 applicants. I think that some of it has to do with the Man upstairs. I have been also fortunate enough to develop skills in other jobs that allow me to stand out among applicants and my peers. 5+ years of customer service jobs, 3 years in a management roll.

I agree with the statement of "No place wants to hire me because I don't have experience but how am I supposed to get experience if no one will hire me?" How to overcome this is A) Getting lucky or B) starting with random small market companies. They'll give you the job without experience but you won't get a good pay nor will you be where you want to be. But money is money and becoming a better worker is invaluable. I have worked with people who have never ever had a job and most of them are horrible workers. Absolutely horrible and that's why people want you to have experience. Whereas I can get my job done, talk to people, and increase revenue for the company all while having fun, working hard and giving great customer service. Tricks of the trade eh? Anywhos...happy Month End...

-Salem

PS: I'm trying to get another Osnat. Wish me luck...

No comments: